Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The Bright and Cheerful Quilt

I've been busy finishing up a quilt for my niece who is getting ready to go off to college in just a couple of weeks.  I have been working hard on it to get it finished in time!  For those of you who know me, you know what a feat that is!

I chose these bright, cheerful colors for her to wish her bright and cheerful days at college.  I hope that it reminds her of home and those that love her when she gets lonely or homesick.

 I made this quilt using four packs of charm squares from Moda called Wrens and Friends.  Some of the fabrics have cute little birds in them.  Then I added a small white sashing in between the blocks to lighten it up.  I offset the rows just to give it a little visual interest. 

When I quilted it, I put a freeform flower in each of the white strips.  If you look closely, you can see the flowers in this photo.  This took WAY longer than I thought that it would when I was quilting it, but I love the whimsical look that it gives the quilt. 

On the back I put a light teal fabric that has little birds in it that I found at Joann's.  I love how the back ties in with the colors and brightens up the whole quilt!  I ordered some of the dandelion border from Moda to complete the border.  For the tag, I appliqued a bird cut from my Sizzix machine and signed the quilt on that.  It was a cute way to tie in the bird theme.  Unfortunately I forgot to take a photo of that.

Oh, yeah- I also made her a key fob to match the quilt! 

I sure hope my niece loves her quilt!






No comments:

Post a Comment