Saturday, May 4, 2024

Crocheting Washcloths

I've been on a kick to use up supplies that I already have from my craft rooms.  Wait, what crafter says that?  Ha ha-  I'm trying to limit my spending on craft supplies this year.  

Anyway, I found a basket of crochet cotton yard from Hobby Lobby that I've purchsed over the past several years and I've been making some washcloths out of it.  You can crochet an entire cloth in about an hour and I usually work on them in the evening while I'm watching tv.

It was fun matching up the colors and I found that they worked up very quickly.  I use them in the kitchen and they hold up their shape and wash nicely.  My sister likes to pair them up with her handmade soaps and they make a nice gift.

I put them out for sale in my vintage "shop," aka the dining room.  I might pair them up and put a ribbon around sets of 3 or 4, but for now they are all individual cloths.

Here's the pattern if you'd like to make them:

Crochet Washcloth
Use Hobby Lobby cotton yarn
Use Size 8 or 9 hook
Finished size: approx 8-9" square

Row 1:  Chain 23.  Turn

Row 2: Skip the first ch, single crochet in each chain across.  Chain 1 for turning.  - 22 sc

Row 3:  *Single crochet in the first sc, Half double crochet in the next, repeat across.  Chain 1.  Turn. 

Row 4:  Repeat Row 3 putting a single crochet into the half double crochet stitch and the half double crochet into the single crochet from the last row until you have 22 rows.  (11 ridged rows looking at the front.  1 ridged row=2 crocheted rows)

Binding:  You are now going to single crochet all the way around the cloth:
Row 5:  The right side of the cloth should be facing you.  Single crochet in each stitch across top, 3 single crochet in the last stitch (to make corner).

Continuing along the left side, make one single crochet at the end of each row, being careful to only make 22 single crochet along the side, keeping things square.  

Look at the photo and you will see the single crochet all around the edge.  This is what you are doing.  Make 3 single crochet in the last stitch to make the corner as you turn.

Single crochet along the bottom (22 sc), 3 single crochet in the last stitch for corner, and then single crochet along the final side.  

Make 2 single crochet in first stitch along the top to make the corner.  Then slip stitch in the next stitch.  End off and sew in your ends.  




 

No comments:

Post a Comment