Monday, July 16, 2018

Spools of Thread Quilt


About 4 1/2 years ago I started working on a Spools of Thread Quilt.  I saw a photo in a magazine and got the idea that I wanted to make one.  While out at a local quilt shop, I picked up some "country" colors of fabric (not my usual color scheme) and decided to make the quilt using the country colors.

I drew up a pattern and started working on the "spools."  They are about 8" finished when put together.  I used scrappy cream colors for the background of each spool.

Once I started to put it together, I decided to complete it for a friend of mine who loves to quilt- these are the colors that she has in her home and likes to use in her quilts.  

Well, that was 4 years ago.  LOL

I've been dragging this unfinished quilt around to quilt retreats for the past 3 years.  But now that I got a new sewing desk and I'm all set up in my sewing room, I have been working on a lot of projects and actually finishing some of them!  

Originally the quilt was supposed to have more spools of thread in it, but somewhere along the way I decided that it had enough.  I added some smaller spools along the sides to make the quilt wider.  Now I think that it's just the right size.  :)

Today I finally finished the Spool of Thread quilt for my friend.  I'm giving it to her for her birthday, 4 years late.  But somehow I know that she will love it.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment