Monday, September 23, 2013

Quilts for the Nieces



This past year I have been working on throw quilts for my nieces that live in Virginia.  Here is one that I finished for my oldest niece.  I also made her a little tote bag and a table topper mini quilt to match.

I try to stick to simple patterns so that I can actually finish my projects!  Ha ha!  This pink and teal fabric has cute girlie designs on it.  I used a basic block design with a sashing.  I added the black squares for contrast.  Once I put the top of the quilt together, I thought that it was too plain, so I added some 9-patch blocks in the borer and some assorted squares in the top border to add some interest. 

Here's a close-up photo:


This is the quilt that I made for my next older niece:


It was my one of my first attempts at appliqueing pieces onto a square.  Sewing all of those flower petals on took me a LOT longer than I thought it would!  (A lot longer!)  The nice thing with the applique is that I could bring the squares with me and work on them while I was waiting during my appointment times.


I had a lot of fun working with the different bright pink fabrics and definitely ended up with may too much fabric when I was done! (I could make 10 more pink quilts with all of the fabrics that I ended up buying! But, shh- don't tell anyone!)  At the end I added some lime green in the center of the flowers and in the sashing rows to add some contrasting color.

I am still working on one more quilt for my next younger niece.  Hopefully I can finish it soon before she outgrows the fabric designs!

No comments:

Post a Comment