Friday, October 10, 2014

Getting a Head Start on Christmas

This week I held my first Christmas card-making class for the season.  I'm not one to make things too far ahead (Ha ha- I procrastinate everything!) but I wanted to give the stampers a preview of some of the new Christmas stamps and papers that are available.  Here's a sampling of some of the sets that I took out to make cards with.

At the end of each class I always ask the ladies which card or project that they liked best.  This week almost everyone voted for this card.  It's a quick and easy card that can made in multiples.  I love the contrast of the pine cones against the greenery.  It's so peaceful.  I usually go online and get some ideas for cards to make.  I got this idea from Dawn Olchefski.

 I love cards that are easy to make and have a simple look to them.  There is a new tree punch from Stampin Up.  I had so much fun making the trees for this card.  You don't even have to have the stamp set that coordinates with it to use it.  I made the trees in different sizes and embossed some to give them texture.  We had made a variation of this card at my last demonstrator meeting.  I copied the idea from my friend, Deb Valder.


At first I tried to paint in color on this bauble stamp, but I couldn't get the details to look nice.  So I changed up the card and just stamped the ornament onto designer paper using a contrasting raspberry colored ink.  I added the strips along the edge to give it some color.  I am really happy how it came out.  I combined the ideas from two people- Vicki Burdick and a demonstrator named Melissa (no last name). 

Last, but not least, we used the Home for the Holidays stamp set to make this card.  I stamped my houses onto designer paper and used the foil paper from the All is Calm paper set for the snow.  Somehow this new greenish-aqua color called Lost Lagoon has worked its way into a Christmas color!

In person, this card has a nice shimmery shine to it with glitter on the roofs and the snowman.  Designing the "town" reminded me a bit like playing with Colorforms when I was a girl.  I guess I'm dating myself now by admitting that.  :)

Have you started on your Christmas cards yet?  How many handmade cards do you send out each year?



1 comment: