Saturday, October 24, 2020

Deer in the Woods Wall Hanging


For my daughter's birthday this year, I wanted to make her something that symbolizes the outdoors.  She lives in the Adirondacks and loves all of the wildlife around her house.  I found an old McKenna Ryan pattern in my stash and changed up the colors to make this deer table runner for her.  It can also be used as a wall hanging, if she would like hang it up.  I wanted to use a lot of greens and some bright colors, so I decided to make it look like it was fall.

Here is a close up photo of the deer.  I cut them out of a brown batik fabric that had a large leaf pattern on it.  I think this gave them a muted animal look.  I like how they turned out.  


When it came to quilting the appliques, I didn't know what I wanted to do.  I stitched around each cut out using the free motion on my machine.  I was surprised at how well they turned out!  Then I did some stippling in the background.


I am happy with how this turned out.  I'd like to make more, next time adding in some moose or bear in the woods, maybe even a bit of all three. 


While I was taking photos outside of the project, my little kitty was watching from the door.  If you look at the reflection, you can see the deer's legs from the wall hanging in the photo.  After the photo session, I let her out on the deck to sit with me for a while.  We both enjoy a nice fall day.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment