Friday, January 29, 2021

Flower Power Rainbow Quilt

Okay, I've been working on this quilt for a long time - like 3 years.  I keep taking it out to work on it, but don't quite get it done.  But this weekend I finally finished it!  

One dreary winter day about three years ago, I went into my sewing room and cut out lots of 5" squares from my stash.  I sewed a strip onto two sides of each square and then laid them out in some form of a rainbow.  I had to move the squares around a bit to get the look that I was going for.  But eventually I liked the layout.  

I worked on the quilt here and there throughout the years but finally this weekend, I put it on my longarm and decided to finish it up.

While trying to decide how I wanted to quilt it, I decided to do freeform flowers, kind of like Flower Power designs from the 70s.  I thought that theme went along well with my Rainbow quilt.  So it's the Flower Power Rainbow Quilt.  Catchy, don't you think?


I put a black binding on it.  I'm still not sure if I totally like it.  I tried some darker grays, but just didn't think that they framed the quilt as well.  What do you think?  Do you like the black border?


Here's a pic of me at one of my sewing retreats after I put a border on it.  Someday I'd like to make more rainbow quilts using different patterns.  Next time, I hope they don't take as long!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment