Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Quilted Tree Wall Hangings & Matching Ornaments

If you remember, I made a couple of these quilted Tree Wall Hangings last year for Christmas gifts.  The pattern is from The Fat Quarter Shop and is called Charming Christmas.  You can watch the video on how to make here.  

While I was home on Christmas break this year, I made four more of them to give out as gifts.  They are each a little bit different.  I used fabric from Fig Tree called Christmas Figs.  All of the colors coordinate so beautifully.  For the gifts, each recipient received the wall hanging and some matching ornaments for their tree.

I made some little birds, which were so much fun to make, and some patchwork squares from the leftover scraps.  It's hard to see in the photo, but they have gold cording on them for the hangers.

I made MORE of the quilted trees (a lot more!) and gave them out, as well.  I love giving out handmade ornaments to people.  People tell me years later that they still have them.  :)

The wall hangings measure about 22" square.  Will I make more of them?  Yes, yes, yes.  I'd like to try some different color schemes and see how they turn out.  It's a great Christmas gift and doesn't take too long to make.

Back in November, I had the idea to make some ornaments from my grandbaby's handprints.  I painted her little hands with some green paint, cut out some linen squares for the imprint and attempted to get her handprint on the fabrics.  Needless to say, it didn't work out very well!  LOL  She kept trying to grab the fabric and we ended up with green paint everywhere - on the table, her clothes, my clothes, etc.  

After we washed her up, we took off her socks and stamped her footprint instead.  These came out so much better!  Look at her little face in the photo- "What are we doing here, Nana?"  

This is what I came up with for an ornament.  I made patchwork strips to sew around the linen, matching the green paint that I had used.  After I sewed the front to the back, I added some red floss stitches, embroidered her name and added a couple of little buttons.  So sweet, right?  I made two of them, one to keep and one to give to my daughter for Christmas.  

Maybe next year we will try the handprint!







 

No comments:

Post a Comment