Sunday, January 5, 2020

Making Buffalo Checked and Rustic Ornaments


This Christmas my daughter decorated with Buffalo checked decor.  It's pretty popular this year and the colors make everything look cozy and warm.  

To decorate her tree, I made some ornaments to go along with her theme.  I love the little Buffalo checked trees the best.  (And yes, I want to make more of these!)  I used a triangle ruler to cut out the shape and sewed them up, leaving a small hole at the bottom for turning and stuffing.  Then I inserted a stick and glued it in using a glue gun.  The bows are glued on and lastly I sewed some red jute to the top to hang them.
You can also see in the photo that I stamped a couple of rustic log slices also.  We made these a few years ago and I still had some log slices left over.  



I used the Snowman stamp from Snowman Season and placed him in the Snow Globe shaker dome for this ornament.  Then I added a Buffalo checked scarf from a thin piece of the fabric!  I had some checked ribbon so I added that to the bottoms.  Doesn't he look so warm and cozy in his checked scarf?

I remembered that I had some sweaters that I cut up to make projects with that were Christmas colors. I cut them out into heart shapes.  They're easy to make because the sweater material holds the stuffing nicely and you can keep shaping them as you fill them.  There's a small hole in the side for turning and stuffing.  I stitched that up, added the bows and some twine to the tops for hanging.  I definitely want to make more of these! I love anything made from receycled sweaters!


I found a nice box at Joann's to give to her to store the ornaments in and to complete the look.  She loved her handmade Christmas Tree Ornament Box!

No comments:

Post a Comment