Sunday, April 10, 2022

Landscape Cards - Like Taking a Trip to the Ocean

The closest ocean from where I live in upstate NY is about 3.5 or 4 hours away, depending on which direction you head, towards Boston or to Maine.  I usually try to make the trek at least once a year, but because of covid I haven't been to the ocean in close to three years.

However, this week I worked on these amazing ocean cards that I copied from another demonstrator, Gail Ellis.  Each of the three cards uses transparent sheets to add another layer to the ocean landscape and were so much fun to make.  Thank you, Gail for your creativity.

For the first card, the transparency is added onto the top layer, under the clouds.  The fence, rocks, palm tree and pebbles are on the clear sheet.  The stamping is done on a white layer, which is also attached to the top of the card and stands free.

In this photo, you can see the clear layer better.  Using the transparencies on these cards gives them more dimension and interest.  They take a bit longer to make, but the final result is awesome.  :)


Card #2 also attaches the clear sheet at the top of the page, hidden under the one inch flap.  Another cut off piece is at the bottom of the clear sheet, giving this card more of a "ground."  The palm tree is on the clear sheet of this card.  

This card opens vertically and here is what the inside looks like.  

For this card, the transparency is part of the front of the card.  It is attached on the inside of the front.  I added another white layer to the inside on top of the clear sheet to create a space to write the greeting.  If you look closely, you can see a layer of "sand" that extends to the end of the clear sheet on the front of the card.  


Here is the inside of the card (before I added the white layer).  I put a sailboat in the water and added some birds from another stamp set.  

For all three of my cards, I kept the basic stamping colors the same.  I used Pool Party for the sky, Misty Moonlight for the sea and Crumb Cake for the sand.  This gives the cards a more uniform look to them and makes it easier to keep the colors straight for the ladies in my stamping class.

Although I've used transparencies in my cards before, I love the creative use of the clear sheets on these cards.   I used Oceanfront and Paradise Palms stamp sets, Horizon and Palm dies and to really make them special, the Pebbles Enamel Shapes for the stones.  




 

No comments:

Post a Comment