Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Mason Jars in Chalk Paint

Last week my friend Cindy came over to teach me how to use chalk paint and wax.  We picked out some Mason jars to paint.  I just happened to have a few extra on hand.


We mixed some colored craft paints into the chalk paints to create some muted colors that I thought would go along with the color scheme of my home.  They were easy to paint using a wide, flat paint brush.  We set them aside to let them dry and then slightly sanded them with some fine sandpaper.

For some of my jars I had painted the creamy white coat on first and then the colored paint of paint.  They needed two coats of paint to cover them well.  For this jar, you can see the white paint under the teal color and I think that gives it even more of a vintage look. 

Although I like how they all came out, I think my favorite one is this blue one.  After we sanded them, we applied a light coat of chalk paint wax to them and shined them with a cloth.  This leaves a nice finish to the jars when you are done.

After we finished prepping the jars with the paints and waxing them, we added some jute rope to the tops with a glue gun.  Then we added some embellishments to decorate them.  I had some burlap flowers from another project and we made some tags.  I especially like this little wooden bird that I got at Joann's in the spring.  I sponge painted him to match the tag and the jar.

I just love how they came out!  It did take a few hours to complete all of the steps but I am happy with my new decor pieces.  What would you do with yours or what would you put in them?

No comments:

Post a Comment