Saturday, March 7, 2020

The Colorful Quilt - Quilt #1 for 2020

At my quilt retreat in October, I started a jelly roll quilt for one of my friends who was moving away. I was hoping to pretty much finish it up by the end of the weekend. The jelly roll fabric was from Lori Holt and I thought the fabrics were so pretty arranged in the rainbow pattern that they came in.

However, instead of keeping them in rainbow order, I decided to mix them up and make squares with a couple of triangles for the corner, sort of like a snowball, but with only two sides.  


So I sewed them together and then wasn't so sure if I liked how it looked.  (Really, I called it the ugly quilt that day.)  But my friend was moving away and I had a deadline to meet if I was going to give her a quilt before she left.

But I brought the quilt home and stared at it for a few days.  I decided that it needed a teal border that would pull out the teal colors and sure enough, once I added that, it began to redeem itself.  Even the colors seemed like they went together better.

I finished the quilt by the deadline and gave it to my friend before she moved away to Belgium. 

And guess what?  She really liked it!  I call it the Colorful Quilt, because that is what my friend is to me - a very colorful, fun person to be around.  :)

And who knows, I might even get to go to Belgium to visit her!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment