Monday, February 19, 2024

Table Runner Made with Strips

After I put the Christmas decorations away, I thought that the house looked so bare.  The tables needed a new look so I took out some strips and whipped up this runner!  

For this runner, I started with the background and batting, both cut to the length and width that I wanted.  Then I added two strips in the center and sewed them to the batting and background fabric. 

So this table runner is made with a quilt-as-you-go method.  After you add the first few strips, you can then add fabric strips to both sides which takes less time to complete the project.

I decided that I wanted to make it look more like patchwork than just adding strips, so I sewed some of the strips together and strategically placed them the way I wanted them to look.
I've made this quilt-as-you-go method before, and the last time I sewed additional quilting lines on the finished piece, but this time didn't.  If you turn the runner over, you will see the quilting lines on the back, so there's no need to quilt it more unless that is the look that you're going for.

The idea came from Sharon Holland and if you want to read her blog and see the colorful runner that she made, just click here.  I used 2" strips for my runner but you could also use a jelly roll with 2 1/2" strips.  It took a couple of hours to make.  

I'm happy with how it turned out.  The table in the dining room now looks "dressed" properly.  :)

There's a pile of 2" strips left over from this runner, and now I'm thinking that I might make something else out of them.   After all, they're all cut and ready to go :)




 

No comments:

Post a Comment